What is buttock reshaping?
Buttock reshaping is surgery that enhances the shape, size and curves of the buttocks to improve the proportions of your body and give you curves that you love. Options for buttock reshaping include the following:
- A buttock lift addresses sagging buttocks by removing excess skin and some fat, and tightening and toning the tissue underneath. It doesn’t increase the size of your buttocks but can improve the appearance of the skin’s surface. It can be performed on its own or as part of a full body lift.
- In fat grafting, also known as a Brazilian butt lift or autologous fat transfer, your surgeon removes excess fat via liposuction from an area where it’s not wanted (e.g., abdomen, hips, thighs, upper back) and places it into your buttocks.
- Silicone implants, placed in or on top of gluteal tissue, can be a good choice for increasing buttock volume for people who don’t have excess fat to use in fat grafting.
How buttock reshaping works
- If you choose a buttock lift, you and your doctor will discuss the technique that’s right for you. If you’re having an abdominoplasty at the same time, you may have an incision just below the waistline. A different technique uses an incision below the buttocks, which is hidden in the crease between the buttocks and the upper thigh. In either case, the doctor removes excess skin and tissue and places deep sutures to support the new shape, then closes the skin incision.
- If you choose fat grafting/Brazilian butt lift, your doctor will perform liposuction to remove fat from another area of your body. The fat is processed to remove blood and collagen. Then, it’s injected into each buttock, usually in three to five places, with syringes connected to thin surgical tubes called cannulas.
- If you choose silicone implants, your doctor will make an incision in each buttock (location is determined by the size of the implant, its placement and other factors) and place an implant in the muscle or on top of it. The incisions are closed with deep sutures in the tissue and skin sutures or adhesive to close the skin.
How long does it take to recover from buttock reshaping?
Recovery time depends on the procedure you have, and it’s likely that you won’t be able to sit or sleep on your back for at least two weeks — but as with every surgery, recovery is highly individual. During your consultation, your doctor will talk with you about what to expect. The results from all three buttock reshaping procedures are visible immediately, although if you have fat grafting/Brazilian butt lift or a buttock lift, it can take several months for your tissue to settle into its final form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Buttock Reshaping
A. Fat transfer or dermal fillers offered by an experienced cosmetic surgeon are the only safe injections for buttock enhancement. Silicone injections are extremely dangerous and can cause disfigurement, scarring and even death.
A. Every patient is different — so you’ll have a personalized consultation, during which your surgeon will evaluate your current shape and talk with you about how best to achieve the results you’re looking for.
A. Some people who have gender affirmation surgery want to increase or decrease the volume of their buttocks. These procedures will be part of your conversation with your surgeon about your surgical goals.